Photos by LA PHOTOGRAPHY
Hello everyone! We have now officially had 2 full weekends in the new year. I don’t know about you, but everyone is getting organized and doing some major purging in their house, office, and life in general lately. This time of year with goal setting and just simplifying clutter to stay organized is key. Everyone wants to immediately do some organizing and cleaning in January, but then it kind of dies down throughout the year. It is just like everyone’s New Years resolutions for going to the gym. By March everyone kind of dies down on the routine, and then it is less crowded again. It can be easy to stay organized at the beginning of the year, but throughout it can have it’s own challenges. We all strive to stay organized throughout the year by implementing processes and tips that will help us maintain this organization all year long. Today I have collaborated with Amy Vance of Eco Modern Concierge on some tips to stay organized throughout the year. Amy came over to my apartment 2 weekends ago to help me out on some of my problem areas I had which was under my bathroom sink, kitchen sink, and purse organization. Amy helps with everyday organizational tasks and needs and is seriously such a great help. She gave me such great insight and helped when I kept putting the tasks off and off every weekend. Below I have shared some before and after photos and some of our tips for staying organized throughout the year.
Tips to Stay Organized Throughout the Year
- Use a Planner Consistently: I think this has helped me tremendously throughout the year and is really the best way to stay organized in your life. Writing everything down not only helps you remember what your goals and objectives are, but is also a great visual too. It also helps if you have a pretty planner. There is something about writing it down that makes you actually complete the task that is at hand. I honestly write everything down from when I need to make a doctor’s appointment to when I need to get my oil changed too. The more I can write down the more organized I feel.
- Label Everything: I love to label everything, and the prettier the font the better personally. You have seen on my Insta stories that I label my jars in my pantry for all of the basics and I also label my bathroom bins as well. I think having everything labeled and a spot for them is key to staying organized and knowing where everything is supposed to go. Also labeling all of your file folders and photos that are stored in your phone with dates and any other important information will establish those organizational habits early in the year.
- Purge at Least Once a Month: Everyone always purges at the beginning of the year or during Spring cleaning, but if you get in the habit of purging at least once a month it will make the process consistent throughout the year. If you are like me and go shopping and then buy way more than you should have, then you will want to purge at least one thing before bringing something else in to your house. This saves you from having a whole lot of clutter at the end of the year.
- Have Systems and Processes in Place: A system and process in place for everything in your house and your life established early in the year is key. Maybe this is having an area where you drop off your mail and agreeing to review it every day. This could also be when you get an email, agree to file it appropriately, or have a certain time frame to reply back to emails. I know that one process that I need to adhere to more is putting away my clothes and jewelry in their right location at the end of the day so my room does not end up being a mess by the end of the week. This also makes me see what I have in inventory as well.
- Don’t Impulse Buy: This is probably one of the hardest tips to staying organized that I need to work on. I mean who really actually goes to Target and only gets that one thing that they came for?? It is hard but actually ends up being the best and most simplified way to stay organized throughout the year. I mean who really needs all different sizes of serving dishes just because they are rimmed in gold? Cute, but we need to think is this something that I will actually use and need in my life? If you actually think of what you are purchasing and go in with a plan and stick to it, then you will be more organized.
- Keep Everything Cleaned: I honestly think that having everything cleaned makes it that much easier to organize it. There is something about a clean area that makes you really assess what you do have. Get into a cleaning schedule and stick to it. I put daily reminders in my phone on chores that day that I need to do. This helps so that I don’t get overwhelmed at the end of the week either with lots of tasks to do. When you clean up certain areas of your house, car, office, or even wardrobe you are that more tempted to organize at the same time. Think of when you take your clothes to the dry cleaners, well when you get back home don’t use those awful wire hangers that they give you. Instead, use the velvet hangers for all of your clothes. These take up less room and your clothes will not fall off and your whole closet will look extremely put together.
What We Organized
Below are some of the areas that Amy from Eco Modern Concierge came and helped organize while we used some of these tips above walking through the organization process. At first we started off with my handbag organization. I had 3 separate bins for them and they were all over the place with no consistency. We were able to group them into essentials that I carry on a regular basis, and then the other 2 bins were for clutches and seasonal bags. I was able to get rid of so many by honestly just picking each of them up and thinking I haven’t worn this the entire past year. That is one key thing to think about, and if you didn’t wear it this past year well then is it sentimental? If not toss it with no regrets. This eliminated a lot of my handbags and instantly looked more organized.
Another area was underneath my sink in my bathroom area. I don’t have drawers in my bathroom, but instead 2 cabinets underneath my sink. I had to buy these drawer bins and also other bins in order to have all of my personal items organized. This area was one that I did a major purge and threw away items. There was so much makeup and beauty products that had expired and that needed to go. We often forget about the little expiration dates for these items that we tend to use every day. It is important to check out the expiration date at the bottom of the product, and it will typically tell you how many months it is good for. In the bins we organized the category of my products. We had my eye makeup and lips in one, the essential products I use all of the time, makeup palettes, and then body and extras/travel in others. This was a good organization system to have and separating them in those categories helped out a lot.
The last area that Amy helped me organize was underneath my kitchen sink area. This had random products scattered throughout and lots of vases. We didn’t get rid of any of the vases, but were able to throw away expired sunscreen and medicine. It is easy for your cleaning products to sit in their own organization bin like a shower caddy. This makes it easy to tote around from room to room when you are cleaning. Also just finding a system that works for you is key. I like having all of my micro fiber cloths readily available so we kept that in mind through the process.
We used existing products that I had and just mainly tried to purge and donate items that were no longer pertinent in the new year. I wanted mainly to clean and go through existing products and then come up with a more streamline process to maintain the clutter. This worked out perfectly and I am so glad that I was able to have Amy’s assistance. I hope you enjoyed this post and if you ever need any organizational assistance or any other type of assistance, please reach out to Eco Modern Concierge. I hope you use some of these tips and find them valuable as you go through your items. Please comment and let me know how your organization goes and if you have any other tips 🙂