Hi everyone thank goodness it is finally Friday! This week has been extremely busy and I started a new job within my company. I briefly mentioned it on here and on social media but I am still in technology operations, but now instead of business continuity and data center planning, I am in project management. It is all so new to me and to be honest was a little overwhelming. It will take some time to get used to and that is true of any new job or change that might come your way. I am excited for this great opportunity to grow within my career and see what will happen in the next couple of years. A challenge is always good for me and in life in general. A lot of you ask me how balancing work/life/blog is and how exactly do I do it. It can be hard at times and one thing I don’t have yet is children and am not married, so I applaud you that are working full time and blogging too, super woman! I do love to do activities and hang with my friends, boyfriend, family, and go to events constantly though. Some days I feel like it can be just a tad overwhelming, but these tips below I have managed to do and they sure help.
- Say “No” More Often: This one is really hard for me. I have serious FOMO (fear of missing out). If I can’t go to something or do something I am constantly either asking how it was, looking at pics, or thinking uggh I should have gone. You have to take a step back though and evaluate what you really want to do because it can be overwhelming. If you have had a long day of work, you might need to say no to that event that night. The worst thing you can do to your body is stretch it too thin and you will pay for it later. Trust me I have done this before. Now I pick and choose which things I do during the week and understand that I can’t possibly do everything even though it seems like Beyonce does 🙂
- Keep a Planner: Maybe I am a little old fashioned but I love carrying an actual planner and writing everything down that I have. It could be that the planners now a days are so cute like this one, but it makes the world of a difference. I write down to-do items, doctor appointments, blog content for that day, and any work meetings or topics I have as well. I utilize my email calendar, but I think also writing it down too helps you even more.
- Utilize Your Time: This can be a hit or miss sometimes with me. Trying to get motivated on a task sometimes can be really hard for me to do, but when I start it I am really focused. My brain on the other hand sometimes won’t get focused because I am so looking forward to things I am doing that weekend or that night’s plans. My brain will go in about 100 different directions so I really try to utilize my time without stretching myself too thin. Work is work and that is focused to those activities during the day. I really utilize my lunch break to answer blog emails or get my thoughts flowing for my blog posts. If you think of an idea throughout the day write it down. When I come home from work I try to work on blog posts or real early in the morning before going to work. Don’t try to do too many tasks at once and utilize the time when you can.
- Do Your Top Things First: When I write in my calendar I tend to write down at least 3 things that I have to do that day. It could be my big presentation at work, writing tomorrow’s blog post and then cooking dinner that night for Jeff. If you write down a small number of items it helps balance everything out. Yes I would like to spend hours and hours when I got home working on my blog and changing up my site and writing a new post everyday, but I have to be realistic. There are not enough hours in the day and if that was the case I wouldn’t have a life outside of work and blogging. That is why having a few top things each day are important.
- Don’t Compare Yourself to Others: If you are working full time, have a family, or even blogging and having a family, you sometimes find yourself comparing yourself to the other girl who seems like she has everything together. It is so hard to not compare yourself to others as everyone is different. What they value and hold up high could be different than your priorities. Some people put more time into their blogging and are doing it full time, others are writing about 2-3 times a week and are loving that. Whatever you are doing just embrace it. If you are working full time then I wouldn’t think you would also be blogging everyday, but if you are then hey girl do your thing. It is sometimes hard for me to blog 3 times a week, and I wish I could but there is just not enough time.
- Take a Breather: This is something that I do all of the time. If I find myself getting stressed out after a meeting I have to go be by myself. I like to just take a walk or go eat by myself. It is so important to have you time and pray about it and just think it is going to be ok, I just need to relax. Every night I also take a bubble bath. This is time for me to relax and to mentally de-stress and think of all the things I accomplished that day. When you have too much going on you have to just unwind.
- You Can’t Do It All: At the end of the day you are not superwoman and it is just you. I try to do work/life/blog and be the best I can at all 3 but sometimes one might slip. Figure out which one is most important to you and then balance or figure out what works best. You aren’t going to be able to work 50 hours a week, go to an event every night and still have time for your friends and family. Picking a couple of things a week and looking to see what you can do that week will help you in the long run. Even though you might have FOMO, your body will be better if you just balance and stay organized 🙂
Do you have any tips for balance and things that you do as well? I would love to hear your tips.